Thursday 2 January 2014

Review: A Life Interrupted by Lynley Wayne

I'd never heard of Lynley Wayne, but I was in the mood to read a contemporary romance, preferrably a family themed one, and Lynley Wayne's A Life Interrupted (published by MLR Press,  November 2013) came through on my All Romance eBooks search.

So I decided to take a risk and buy a copy.


The synopsis from the publisher

Dan and Travis met in college, the unlikeliest of pairs, and then became friends and lovers. 

For the past twenty-two years Dan's lived his own version of happily-ever-after, with Travis by his side.

Then tragedy strikes and life as they know it ceases to exist. 

Will they be strong enough to find their way back from a life interrupted?

While Travis fights for his life, Dan can' t help but relive all those little moments that made up their life. 

All those things that he took for granted at the time. Those very same events may end up being all he has left of the man who is his entire world.

What I think

Lynley Wayne pulled off one of the hardest challenges any writer can face: making readers care about a main character who's absent/in a coma throughout most of the story.

Did the previous sentence sound as callous to you as it did to me? LOL! Sorry. It sounded good in my head, I swear, but clearly it didn't translate well on paper.

What I meant to say was, one of the main characters, Travis, is in a coma and as such, he's actually "absent" as an active participant in the story, and we only get to know him through his partner Dan's eyes.

And it's easy enough to feel sympathy for him as someone who is sick, maybe even dying. But Wayne Lynley takes us beyond the easy sympathy to the core of the man, so we know what he was in the past, how he would be if he was not lying in that hospital bed, and what his husband, children, mother and sister will lose if he dies/doesn't recover. She helps us get to know the brave young man who acts on his attraction for another man, even though he'd have sworn that he was straight before he met Dan, the loving partner and that strong happy man who has a goofy smile on his face when all is right with his world. Sounds better now? Thanks:-)

Anyhoo, one of the reasons I love romance novels is the expectation of a happy ending. So I kinda expected that no matter what kind of wringer Dan and Travis go through, in the end, Travis will wake up and they will live happily ever after. I so totally didn't expect the real outcome in the story. It was a good twist though. (And no, I'm not telling you what happened. Read the book to find out!)

My only complaint is that the story feels unfinished. Yeah, I know they say, "To be Continued" at the end, so it must be the first book in a series. But what the hell? I want to know what happens next right now!!!!

OK. Maybe not right this minute, but soon. VERY SOON!

Told you  I wasn't exactly patient... or healthy....

No comments:

Post a Comment