Wednesday 1 January 2014

Review: My Regelence Rake by J.L Langley


The problem with J.L Langley is that she doesn't write fast enough to suit me. LOL!  As if she's there to write for my comvenience.

Still. My fantasy is of her chained to her laptop in my dungeon, writing book after book, with occassional breaks for food or drink. No sleep for the talented!

OK. I don't sound well, I know. But damn, the woman can tell a good story!

I just finished re-reading  My Regelence Rake, the third installment in her Sci-Regency series (published by Samhain Publishhing, October 2012), and it's as good as when I read it last year.

Some books are fluff ( and it's fine to be fluff. I adore fluff), but I am pleasantly surprised when I find books I can read again and again. Because to a bibliophile, books you can reread over and over are very kind to the wallet. And that allows me to enjoy as many books as possible, guilt-free.

Here's the publisher's synopsis:

With his days occupied with duties as Captain of the Guard, and nights consumed with upholding his reputation as a rake, Lord Sebastian Hastings’s schedule is filled. There’s no extra time to be anyone’s bodyguard, but the royal family’s safety is a task he sees to personally.

Prince Colton Townsend has loved Sebastian for as long as he can remember, but he’s done pining for a man who has vowed never to remarry. So he consoles himself with the second love of his life—horses. Stable building and horse racing consume his every thought, at least until he’s stuck with Sebastian dogging his every step.

While looking over the prospects at an auction, Colton is trying to ignore his sexy, pesky bodyguard when he feels compelled to take on a bully to protect an abused horse. Sebastian is dragged into the fray, and their good deed sparks a string of nasty rumors.

There’s only one way to quell the political storm: marry. But instead of solving everything, Colton realizes his new husband is a bundle of secrets, none of which he’ll give up easily. Unless Colton makes one, last-ditch effort that could break his heart for good.

What I think

My Regelence Rake is a classic tale of unrequitted love, done so well that you don't mind that the story sounds vaguely familiar, if you're like me and have read thousands of romance novels (het and mm).

The characters are very well drawn: you can't help but root for Colton to land his man and want Sebastian to have a really good excuse why he's not sweeping him off his feet. Cos not having a good excuse would just make him an ass. Just saying.

Mixed in there, there are real rakes nice well-brought up young men should stay away from. There are secrets, some spying, blackmail attempts and lots of fear of rejection from both Colton and Sebastian. There's lots of humour too. I especially loved the concept of Dance Card Destruction Crew.

And of course Trouble, fiance to Rexley, Colton's eldest brother, is as funny as ever. Now there's a young man who's worth kidnapping J.L Langley for, so I can chain her to her laptop and get her writing. I wouldn't even mind hiring a personal torturer for the duration of the book's writing, cos I would really really love to read his story.

Anyhoo, I highly recommend My Regelence Rake. My only caveat is that, maybe, you read the first two books in the series first. It can stand alone, but it's richer if you've read the two previous books and have insight into characters and events.

Buy the book


No comments:

Post a Comment